Viet. Them/They/Their. Martell.
Lex is a full time student with only a little time on their hands and a load of responsibilities on their back and who rly shouldn't be on tumblr rn jfc.
sidebar art by ghostbees
This is the news story this girl is referring to: Vietnamese Nail salon’s racist Twitter tirade offends customers
Sharing this as an FYI to my Black followers on what the Vietnamese phrase “mi deng” means.
yoooooo missouri city, texas is like mad close to my home so yeah fuck evyerhing
Anti-black racism is pervasive as fuck in american vietnamese communities and back home in vietnam. This is coming from my own experiences within my homes, communities, and schools.
We have derogatory language for many other races. White ppl, latin@s, etc. But often, only those perceived as black or latin@ will be spoken of negatively.
Vietnamese children are taught to fear other poc. If a child is behaving badly in public and a poc is nearby we’d tell them that the “mi deng” will get them. As a child, I remember having to lie about a friend’s race if I wanted to go to their house. My Latin@ (I lived and continue to live in a large spanish speaking community) friends would become white or vietnamese girls.
The older generation carried much of their racism to america when they immigrated because of the war. In vietnam there are stereotypical blackface comedy skits that are still happening. And the younger generation of vietnamese americans absorbed this and the added systemic racism still evident in american culture. I continue to hear young vietnamese americans using racist coded language when they don’t want another poc to realize they’re speaking of them.
I’m writing all this to other fellow viets. If you see or hear your viet family members or friends saying or doing racist things call them out on it. Tell them that whatever they did or said was racist. My mother did not understand the harm she was doing until I explained it to her. This is a cultural and linguistic barrier that we need to overcome to ensure newer generations of viets don’t absorb that kind of racist bullshit.
Gaming In Color is a full length feature documentary on one of the fastest growing communities in the fastest growing entertainment sector in the world: Gaming. For too long gamers have been painted in a very specific light, and the mosaic of gamers have lacked the diversity of minorities, queers, women, and members of LGBTQ communities.
We want to create this film in order to take a closer look at the challenges and the growth of these communities in the gaming world.
Drop us an ask to Share your Story with us.
Or visit our Kickstarter to help us document the queer community’s role in Gaming’s History.
Gaming in Color has just 14 days left to reach their Kickstarter goal for a feature length documentary of gaymer culture. They’re sooooo close, everybody.
Bonus: awesome poster!
Here is the breakdown:955 (or 46%) had no weapon at all at the time they were executed.943 (or 36%) were alleged by police to have weapons (including a cane, toy gunand bb gun) but this allegation is disputed by witnesses or later investigation.Police are infamous for planting weapons or deciding that a cell phone, walletor other harmless object is a gun.9
22 (or 18%) were likely armed
Quote from the PDF
And even if armed they should know how to take down armed people without killing them or shooting dozens of bullets at a time
Speaking of extrajudicial murders where no one is held accountable.
Part of the reason the police fire so many bullets during shooting incidents is most police are incredibly shitty marksmen with a very strong tendency to panic and spray bullets wildly in tense situations. The way police handle firearms, for the most part, would get any civilian gun owner arrested and charged with reckless negligence.
White kids are taught from childhood up that the worse thing you can be is a racist. But no one ever taught us what being “racist” meant. History books said that slavery was racist, but we don’t own slaves, so we never took credit for that. Teachers told us that Jim Crow laws were racist, but we shared our fountains with all the other kids, so we never took credit for that. Movies told us that segregation was racist, but we grew up in neighborhoods and went to school with with people of color, so we never took credit for it. We never took credit for racism, because we were told racism ended when Martin Luther King Jr had a dream, and Rosa Parks refused to stand up for a white man. From a white perspective, racism ended in the 60s. To many of us, racism is a “was” not an “is.”
But that’s not reality. Reality is that racism survives every day, and white people keep it alive. We keep it alive because no one ever bothers to shut up for a second and listen to what people of color say. We are so sure of ourselves that we are not racist that when someone calls us out for doing or saying or something racist, we cover our ears and close minds to the possibility that we might, in fact, be racist. To white people, being called a racist is worse than actually being racist.
Therefore, for the rest of our lives, we live in ignorant bliss of our privilege, doing shit that hurts other people, perpetuating harmful stereotypes, and creating dangerous and unsatisfying situations for people of color, all the while vehemently denying that we are racist because we know that being racist is wrong. We just don’t always know what being racist is, and oftentimes, don’t even care to learn.
“You may not be thinking of politics but politics is thinking about you. Today, there are people out there trying to take away rights that our mothers, our grandmothers, and our great grandmothers fought for. Rights that we fought for. Our right to vote, our right to choose, our right to affordable, quality education, equal pay, access to health care, and We the People can not let that happen.” - Kerry Washington
Hey I wanted to jump in on this. There is a difference between race and culture. What if he is, racially, Caucasian? But what if he’s racially Caucasian, but culturally Chinese? And I don’t mean that he has appropriated Chinese culture the way that you see hardcore (generally white) anime fans in N.A say they love Japanese culture and they totally get it and they’re Japanese now, ok? I mean what if he was white and grew up in Hong Kong? Implausible, but not impossible.
I like how when someone does something racist, and given the choice between:
a) A person grew up in a rare cultural circumstance and magically overcame racism, colonial thinking (in HONG KONG NO LESS) YET simply didn’t know they were doing something racist, even though it pulls on all the tropes of 1800’s white stereotypes of Chinese people
b) A person in a white supremacy world culture, where white propaganda of POC has infected all media, for centuries, does something that is racist.
…clearly A is true.
If someone did grow up “culturally chinese”? They wouldn’t be using white stereotypes of Chinese people - they’d be using Chinese media tropes of Chinese people.
You know, sort of how like Black people don’t use Sambo imagery to depict themselves, or NDNs don’t use “Indian Savages” imagery, or Jews don’t use “Evil Baby-Eating Jew” imagery or…
White people will imagine the most ridiculous shit to simply not accept reality. It’s like a mugger saying the laws of physics were subverted and people’s wallets flew through the power of magnetism and planetary alignments into their pockets or something…
I’ve known lots of white people who grew up in Hong Kong. There’s nothing implausible about that. Hong Kong was a British colony until 1997. There are tons of white Brits, Aussies, North Americans, Europeans, who grew up there, children of diplomats, administrators, technocrats, executives and middle managers. They usually attend international schools where English is the first language. They party in Lan Kwai Fong and shop in Central and Tsim Sha Tsui (nothing wrong with Tsim Sha Tsui, but it’s not Mong Kok). They are likely to believe that becoming a British colony was the best thing that could have happened to bring modern civilization to Hong Kong.
If a white person were to grow up in Hong Kong immersed in Chinese rather than colonial culture, living in Mong Kok and attending Cantonese schools, slurping noodles while squatting on the sidewalk and hanging their laundry on bamboo poles sticking out of their overcrowded high-rise window, they would still absorb white supremacism through mass media. And if they were some rare one-in-a-million white person who made the conscious decision to fully embrace and embody Cantonese culture, they would also have the consciousness to be sensitive to their own position as a white person in a non-white culture and the knowledge to inhabit that position responsibly and in opposition to white supremacism.
So I’m gonna get real specific for these coddled asses. When I vent about white people, I’m talking about DAILY fucking doses of:
1. White tumblr users who mock and bitch about “SJ bloggers” at every fucking turn. Oh, we’re just a bunch of keyboard warriors who don’t do anything in real life? I’m sorry, let me just turn off my computer and see if black people stop getting shot and brutalized by white people, if brown people stop getting bombed, if Indigenous peoples stop having genocidal atrocities perpetuated against them, and if women of colour stop getting shat on from all corners of the earth.
Well, look at that. Systemic oppressions still exist and mainstream media parrots the same feel-good white shit. We don’t get to pick and choose if we’re affected by “social justice” based on the contents of our blog. Our whole entire fucking lives revolve around trying to ward off the disease that is whiteness, whether we blog about cats or porn or racism. Feel free to go play on a slip-and-slide lined with broken glass, ya ignorant asstrumpet.
2. White expats/tourists who go to majority-PoC countries and think that their ability to “navigate” the culture excuses every colonial/imperialistic blight they’ve introduced to humanity and deprives them of their global white privilege. You spent centuries trying to stomp us out of existence, but now our clothes, food, customs, innovations, and languages are up for grabs and you get to decide if they’re cool or barbaric. You’re engaging in the same cultural appropriation as any other white asshole, but taking it a step further overseas.
And if foreigners ever dare to be “uppity” to you, that’s totally like REVERSE RACISM although that entire country will likely turn themselves inside fucking out if a white foreigner ever gets lost/hurt/killed, which is a privilege not afforded to the average PoC (see Lucie Blackman, Natalee Holloway, Madeleine McCann, Meredith Kercher, Taylor Anderson et al). So fuck you entitled expats. I hope the next time you decide to use us as another notch in your colonial sightseeing belt, I hope it turns into a season of Lost and you all get stranded except you have to eat each other to survive.
3. White identity-policing nationalists (often armed with white-defending PoC who are ready to shit on us on command), waxing white poetic about how like how diasporic PoC aren’t really [insert ethnicity] by the virtue of being of ~tainted~ diasporic stock. Or if we can’t maintain perfect bilingualism while eating an ice cream cone upside down while dancing on one foot and meet XYZ criteria, we’re not [insert ethnicity]. But at the same time, we will never be true Americans/Canadians/Australians/Brits/etc. Because whiteness dictates that we discard hundreds and thousands of years of our heritage for the sake of assimilation while still being marked as non-citizens in the countries that exploited everything we had to give (everything from backbreaking labour to our own children ripped out of our cold, dead hands). Motherfucking colonial logic.
4. White anti-choicers who don’t know when to shut the entire fuck up about vaginas and uteruses they don’t own, who think active sex lives are a greater sin than state-sanctioned abuse and poverty, but huddle en masse under an invisibility cloak when actual women & children need help. Typical slutshaming deadbeats who bleat on about personal responsibility, yet won’t acknowledge the damage they do by voting in legislation that cuts access to contraceptives, sex education, child care, or any form of social assistance. And in all my years of challenging their malicious propaganda, I rarely found a non-white anti-choice face in sight. Conversely, I was into pro-choice advocacy long before I found any anti-racist spaces online, but it led me to a lot of great WoC. You know who you are. ;)
5. White vegans who are mostly in their teens and early 20s and have never had to think about feeding a young family, who think everyone has the same health conditions, resources, opportunities, and cultural traditions, who think animals deserve to be treated better than PoC, who then compare racism to animal cruelty as if PoC have never been treated worse than animals, and who make it a point to antagonize everyone from Native Americans to rape victims to fat people to diabetic folks. After all your vicious trolling, you shouldn’t be too mad when people tell you to drink bleach. That’s vegan, right?
6. White artists who think their pretentious ~artistic integrity~ (as in every kid with photoshop and a tablet is an artist, lolol) is more important than not being a racist douchefuck. And when all fails, you blame whitewashing on “lighting” or the unwashed masses not understanding ~your craft~. Same goes for certain tattoos, body mods, hairstyles, or anything of PoC origins that gets snatched up by white vultures. White privilege is having anything that is on/from your body being lauded for “art” no matter how fucking unhygienic or gross it is.
7. White LGBT folks who silence and drown out PoC/WoC in their communities, then have the nerve to co-opt racism and the civil rights movement to say how homophobia is so much worse than anything EVER. Nine same-sex couples featured on the cover of Seattle Weekly, but not one fucking peep about how at least six pairs are men and ALL of them are white/lightskinned PoC. But white dudes aren’t in it for themselves at all!!11
8. White derailers who think it’s their godgiven right to invade and colonize every fucking conversation we have about our own experiences, like the “dear white people” movie and the post about PoC-themed birthday parties that made every other whitey come out of the woodwork to cry about how hard it is to be white. You’re right, I can’t imagine what it’s like to own most of the world’s wealth and have everyone conform to whiter-than-white standards of communication, aesthetics, historical truthfulness, etc. while using most of its resources like a bloated parasite. Poor you!
9. White feminists who often incorporate all of the fucking above, as terrifying as it is. Because as much as they looove talking about their vegan shit and dreadlocks and slutwalks and pagan goodness and everything else they’ve stolen, appropriated, or hijacked, the only women in the world are white cis women.
10. And you think you have it so fucking hard because someone called you a cracker. Stop the presses, someone referenced the fact that white people built their prosperity on the blood and bones of Indigenous/Black/Latin@/Asian peoples while CRACKING A FUCKING WHIP.
When we say that we hate whiteness, it doesn’t mean that we hate you for having sensitive skin (stop talking about your sunburns, no1curr about the SPF in your fucking Coppertone), recessive traits, or how you think your awkwardness is endearing. It means we hate the system created by white folks that destabilized entire countries, changed the entire composition of ethnic groups via slavery/genocide/expulsion, and determined geopolitical borders in almost every continent according to what YOU wanted. Instead of admitting “well, our ancestors royally screwed over most of the world aside from that stretch of land inhabited by penguins, maybe we should try to remedy that,” you act like you had nothing to do with the previous generations’ atrocities while still benefiting from everything they did. White people’s greed and their shameless lack of accountability have literally killed hundreds of millions of PoC around the world so that YOU could thrive, and the best you can do is shrug and say “wasn’t me personally.” That is why you are a disease in every sense of the word.
Nuanced enough for you?
Oh my god, all the awards.
And when shows continuously exclude or mistreat PoC [and Women] I tend to become exhausted by or lose interest in them because it makes me [as a WoC] feel unwelcome in that universe. So why would I want to escape within a universe I feel unwelcome in? Why would I want to watch that? I am unwelcome enough in the real world.
When I became an actress I quickly realize that the world liked their latinos to look Italian. Not like me. So I wasn’t going up for Latina parts. I was going up for African American parts. […]
Regardless of the fact that I spoke the language better and understood the culture better, those [stereotypical latina] weren’t the parts that…I could take seriously. Suddenly you have to explain why I look how I look. And then it gets complicated. And nobody wants complicated.
Gina Torres | Black & Latino
let me break down why this is a fallacy. and why, even if we take the hypothetical route and say that it ISN’T a fallacy, why whatever white people experience and designate as “racism” isn’t actually enough to live up to the word.
most of what i’ve seen that white folks claim as racism include:
- snide, unflattering comments about white people made by PoC
- being ganged up on (whether real or imagined) by PoC
- being excluded/ousted from PoC conversations that are meant to be cathartic or otherwise don’t require white input
- being hurt on a single or very few occasions
- being called “cracker”, a word which has never been used in tandem with atrocious acts of widespread violence
- being told they are racist
now, let’s compare this to what PoC have claimed as acts of racism:
- being killed by authority figures without retribution
- being killed by white laypeople without retribution
- laws and social practices that prevent PoC from working or living certain places
- being considered nonhuman (i.e., having their struggles compared to animal rights, being seen as solely sexual objects, being used as “passes” into other cultures, etc)
- being called various racial slurs that have long been used in tandem with atrocious acts of violence (physical, emotional, psychological)
- having their experiences with racism relegated to baseless claims by “the SJ community”, in which “SJ community” is used as an insult.
- having their accomplishments downplayed solely on the basis of their race
- being incarcerated at a greater rate than their white counterparts for the exact same crimes, despite disparities in the rate that each groupp commits said crimes.
and that’s just a short list.
do you see the dissonance here?
or do you just wanna keep crying and throwing around words to make yourself feel better when you get called out on your shit or decide you wanna comment on some shit that wasn’t fucking meant for you?
NEW SPOKEN WORD VIDEO! “Colorblind” - a response to racism in film, media, and theater.
Please Like & Share with your friends!